As you are aware, during the winter months, opening the garage door to go out can be quite tough as the garage is cold! But insulated garage doors can help you solve this issue. So the next time you’re choosing a new garage door, opt to invest in insulated garage doors that retain heat in the garage.
Insulated Garage Doors made of polystyrene or polyurethane are mostly preferred by customers. These doors keep the vehicle inside the garage warm. The garage without an insulated door can get very cold! This leads to a huge drop in temperature in the garage when compared to the temperature inside your home.
The “R” value
The “R” value helps in figuring out the insulation of garage doors. It is a measure of thermal resistance to heat flow. If the “R” value is higher, it means your garage door is well insulated.
Types of Insulation
There are two types of insulation for garage doors – polyurethane insulation and polystyrene insulation.
Polystyrene Insulation – Strong panels are placed inside the door sections during manufacturing.
Polyurethane Insulation – It expands and bonds to surfaces when injected into the cavity. This type of insulation delivers twice the thermal performance of polystyrene insulation and also makes the door panels rigid. Additionally, it dampens sound transmission.
Some modern garage doors come with a single, double or triple-layer insulation in garage doors, for more knowledge visit on Security Doors Melbourne :
- Single-layer garage doors: This type of garage door is non-insulated and made of a single panel. It is affordable and offers protection to your garage.
- Double-layer garage doors:For these doors, polyurethane or polystyrene foam is placed against a backing material that is thin. Double-layer garage doors have increased energy efficiency and sound-proofing which single-layer doors lack.
- Triple-layer garage doors: Triple-layer insulated garage doors feature a layer of thick polystyrene or polyurethane foam insulation between two layers of wood, steel, fibreglass or other materials. These garage doors provide greater energy efficiency, sound-proofing and sturdiness.
Types of Insulated Garage Doors
- Steel Insulated Garage Doors: Steel is affordable, durable and can withstand cracking and exposure to harsh weather. Insulated steel garage doors have a double layer of steel insulation that provides more strength to garage doors.
- Wood Insulated Garage Doors: Insulated wooden doors gives a natural and rich look to your garage doors. They consist of two layers of wood with insulation in between them.
- Aluminium Insulated Garage Doors: This light-weight material lasts long. The insulated aluminium garage doors have double layers of aluminium with insulation in between them.
- Fibreglass Insulated Garage Doors: This light-weight material resists corrosion. These doors have two layers of fibreglass sheeting over a steel frame with insulation in between them.
Benefits of Insulated Garage Doors
- Helps regulate the temperature in your garage.
- A well-insulated garage door prevents air leakage and regulates the interior temperature.
- Insulation can increase the resistance to dents.
- Insulated garage doors can reduce the noise outside from entering your home.
- Insulation on garage doors can help achieve thermal efficiency, allowing your garage to regulate temperature.
- It increases energy efficiency as your home and garage remains warm compared to the climate outside.
- These doors don’t get damaged easily and also don’t rust easily!