You walk into your living room and see your dog looking guilty. You know there’s a mess you need to deal with. No worries, though. You can quickly eliminate stains and odours with special detergents and simple cleaning techniques. It will take just about five minutes to clean it.
When cleaning up pet messes from the carpet, many pet owners do exactly what they shouldn’t do. It is impossible to avoid pet urine or faeces, no matter how well-trained your friend is, but if you learn how to treat a carpet properly, you could prevent a permanent spot on it. However, you can significantly simplify carpet cleaning with the following two techniques.
Steps to Get Rid of Stains
Wear gloves when handling urine or stool to prevent zoonotic diseases when dealing with your pet’s accidents. In addition, catching the accident as soon as possible makes removing the stain much easier than letting it set.
It’s easy to pick up your pet’s mess or soak it up quickly with paper towels or newspaper. However, when the stain is on the carpet, stepping on the towels (while wearing shoes) is highly recommended to absorb it. You may need to repeat this step several times, but it should help absorb it. In case you need them, have a few paper towels on hand. Following these steps will help you clean up a pet accident that has set in and dried.
- Cleaning the stain by renting a carpet cleaner from your local hardware store is possible. – Because rental carpet cleaners have more power and are more efficient at removing tough stains, they also cost less than buying a new carpet cleaner.
- It is also possible to remove pet stains using a wet vacuum. – Clean water is forced into the carpet while dirty water is vacuumed.
- After cleaning the area, use a high-quality deodoriser to neutralise pet odours. – Consider reading reviews or consulting a pet professional before purchasing an odour neutraliser. Odour neutralisers come in a variety of sizes and scents.
- It is essential to make sure the stain remover is safe for pets before applying it to the stain. This is because stain removers break down stain molecules, which are removed by carpet stain removers.
- You should avoid steam cleaners to remove urine stains since the heat will permanently set the stain into the carpet. You should also avoid chemicals with strong odours, such as vinegar or ammonia.
- Some common cleaners contain toxic chemicals for pets, even after you clean and dry your carpet. So be careful what cleaning products you use.
- Depending on the extent of the stain, some carpets may need to be replaced entirely.
Preventing future stains
Immediately after cleaning the pet stains on your carpet, make the area inaccessible or unattractive to your pet. The pet will continue to return to the area and may cause new stains.
While it’s normal to be frustrated by this behaviour, try not to let it overwhelm you. For example, if you scold or yell at your dog, they may not understand or grow resentful. Instead, try working with your dog to help them learn not to leave messes around the house.
In most cases, you can help your pet retrain themselves with positive reinforcement so they adopt better habits successfully over time by understanding the reasons behind their behaviour.
You can, for instance, move your cat’s litter box to a new location or add another litter box. A dog can be trained to remember the bathroom outside by incorporating additional training. Praising, giving treats, or playing with your pets are all ways to reward them.
Cleaning Wet Dirt
It is a good idea to purchase a small, handy portable hood to absorb fluids from the carpet. Paper towels or rags won’t work as well. Using towels to remove contamination, even with light pressure, allows the liquid to seep under the surface. Even with diligence, the carpet gets dirtier, even after wiping it. Treat the rug as quickly as possible since every second counts. If you don’t find it in a pet store or you don’t have one near you, you could check a store for cleaning products. After vacuuming out the liquid, use a biological detergent. You can also use a store for cleaning products if you don’t find them there. You should know that ordinary carpet cleaning products aren’t as effective as professional carpet cleaning products because they neutralise urea and uric acid, removing all proteins and starches.
The stain will remain on the carpet forever if you use non-biological detergent. There is such an easy spread of liquid contamination within the fibres that the stain occupies more area than intended.
Cleaning Firm Dirt
To prevent spreading soil to a larger area, it is a good idea to adjust a shovel next to the pet faeces and push it gently towards it.
Use a biological detergent to remove all solid soil left behind by your pet from the carpet fibres. Apply it and let it sit for 45 minutes.
It’s not uncommon for pet fur to accumulate in carpets and corner spaces. At first glance, it might seem harmless, but it collects dust and allergens. You should vacuum your carpets and upholstery daily if you have a long-haired pet or more than one, especially if you have more than one pet. In addition, a vacuum robot can clean your carpets and other upholstery while you’re away from home if you want to keep your home attractive and healthy.
It is also possible to hire a carpet cleaning company. They will professionally handle everything. You won’t have to worry about the carpet or whether the cleaning solution is pet-friendly. Additionally, you may find out how to maintain and enhance the quality of your carpet during the service.
All in all, having a pet is one of the best feelings in life. However, along with the pleasure comes the responsibility as well. It’s hard to keep the carpets and upholstery clean, but with good cleaning knowledge, you can do it. Remember that whenever you need help cleaning, you can trust a cleaning service to do it for you. Keeping your carpets in good condition will improve your and your pet’s quality of life.